I’m Ashley Maas, doula, childbirth educator, placenta specialist, wife, and mother. I’m married to my husband, hero, and best friend of 16 years, Chris. Together we have two boys, Jordan and Peyton. They make us laugh, dance, and occasionally drive us a little bit crazy! I’m happy to be living in my hometown of Reno, NV, helping usher new families into parenthood with confidence and joy. I serve families birthing in Reno/Lake Tahoe. In my five years as a doula, I’ve attended over 225 births in hospitals and homes.
While I was pregnant with my first son, my husband and I attended classes in the Bradley Method® of natural childbirth. These classes changed my whole outlook on pregnancy and birth—I was empowered to educate myself. I learned more, researched the risks and benefits of my options, and ended up confident that I’d made the best decisions for myself, my baby and my family. I felt proud and peaceful that my birth wouldn’t be just another product of the labor and delivery assembly line. I chose midwives to attend my births, as I knew the midwifery model of care was best for me. Jordan and Peyton were both born into water and their births were the most beautiful days of my life.
My births were completely pivotal and transformative experiences that deeply contributed to the person I am today. It’s become my passion to help empower couples to experience what I did—not just the birth of a baby, but a true sensory experience of the power and beauty of childbirth without unnecessary interventions. I believe this gives both babies and families the best possible start in life.
I wholeheartedly believe that birth is a normal, powerful, physical and spiritual experience for which women’s bodies are uniquely and wonderfully created. The process of labor is much more than simply a means to that much-wanted end of holding your baby in arms. Labor is something to be experienced, rather than endured. It can be heroic and empowering, something you remember with great joy and pride in yourself and what you accomplished.
Birth matters! It matters to women, to partners, to babies, and to families. Giving birth is a profound opportunity to work with your body, your partner, and your baby in a way that is unlike any other life event you’ll experience.
As a doula, I’m there with you every step of the way. I’ll be by your side, no matter what direction your birth might take. I’m dedicated to making your baby’s birth day the best it can be for both you and your partner, supporting you in your own intimate and unique birth experience. It is truly humbling to have the privilege of sharing in the incredible experiences of pregnancy and birth alongside my clients.
I look forward to meeting you and hearing more about your hopes for your own birth story.
Birth Related Experience
- Completed doula training through Doula’s of North America (DONA) in March 2011.
- Labor Doula since April 2011. I’ve attended 225 births and counting.
- Bradley Method® of Natural Childbirth educator since January 2012. I’ve educated 200+ Bradley couples.
- Assistant Midwife to Lenny Sue Tinseth, CPM of Alpine Midwifery: January 2015-current
- Placenta Encapsulator since July 2012. I’ve encapsulated 200+ placentas and counting.
- Certified Sacred Pregnancy Instructor since February 2014
- Certified Lactation Educator (CLE) training through CAAPA – May 2014 (certification in process)
- Completed a “Midwife Assistant Workshop” in August 2014 at “The Farm” in Tennessee.
- I was nominated by my midwife, Melissa Hasler, CNM in 2010 to participate in a newspaper article for the Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN). The newspaper reporter attended Peyton’s birth.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from Arizona State University 2001